Learn how to take effective minutes of meetings
Minutes of meetings provide written summaries of the discussions and decisions made in meetings. They provide a valuable record for future reference, as well as transparency within an organization.
Minutes of Meetings Tips:
- Take attendance, noting those present and those invited but unable to attend
- Note start and end times and location
- Determine the desired style of minutes: Action, Discussion or Verbatim
- Record all relevant discussions, decisions, conclusions and action items
- Format the minutes of meetings document to company standards
- Distribute minutes of meetings to designated attendees
Meeting management software like MeetingBooster helps you take accurate minutes of meetings.
Minutes of Meetings in 3 Easy Steps
- Before the meeting – create the minutes of meeting checklist
- During the meeting – record the minutes of the meeting
- After the meeting – finalize, distribute and archive the minutes from the meeting
Here is a sample minutes of meetings document:
Minutes of Meetings Checklist
A minutes of meetings checklist lays out the various steps involved in setting up a meeting and covers 4 main stages. This information will be included in the final meeting minutes document.
- Preliminary Preparations - Topics such as setting the date, time and location of the meeting
- Reminders and Agenda Packets – Meeting reminders, notifications and tentative agenda packets
- Arrangements – Special guests, equipment and concessions
- Final Preparations – Confirmations, final agenda packets and meeting minutes template
Recording Minutes of Meetings
There are three standard styles of minutes of meetings:
- Action style minutes – record decisions reached and actions to be taken, but not the discussion that led to the decisions
- Discussion style minutes – same content as action style minutes of meetings, but also include the discussion that led to the decisions
- Verbatim style minutes - a word for word record of what was said in a meeting
Regardless of the minutes of meetings style, the note taker must quickly capture a significant amount of information throughout the meeting, which is not an easy task. That's why software that helps create accurate minutes of meetings is becoming increasingly popular.
MeetingBooster allows note takers to quickly enter information based on a formalized agenda. The note taker simply selects an agenda topic, enters the speaker's name and notes what was said or decided. Taking minutes of meetings has never been easier!
Finalizing Minutes of Meetings
Once a meeting is adjourned, the note taker must re-type the captured information into formalized minutes of meetings containing company logos, standardized formatting, etc. This can be tedious and time-consuming, however using minutes of meetings software like MeetingBooster, note takers can quickly transform minutes of meetings into polished, professionally formatted documents that are easy to review, share and store.
Distributing Minutes of Meetings
Following a meeting, every attendee should receive a copy of the minutes. Manually sending copies would be another tedious and time-consuming task.
Minutes of meetings software like MeetingBooster automatically distribute formatted PDF documents of minutes of meetings to all designated attendees.
Archiving Minutes of Meetings
It is important for meeting participants to be able to access the minutes of meetings any time and from any computer. Storing minutes of meetings online is an effective method for archiving and systems like MeetingBooster make minutes accessible to anyone with viewing permission.
MeetingBooster is the best software to capture your minutes of meetings:
- captures discussions and decisions
- generates formatted minutes of meetings
- distributes minutes of meetings to designated recipients
- archives minutes of meetings for future access